This intermediate role is part of NZME’s Digital Analytics centre of excellence that serves our internal business units for all of their big data engineering needs.
You will work with your team mates on some of New Zealand’s largest scale websites including NZ Herald, Oneroof, Driven, Newstalk ZB and others.
This role is part of NZME’s Digital Analytics centre of excellence that serves internal and external customers for all of their data, analytics, insight and modelling requirements. The purpose of the role is to support our Data Engineering team and other NZME business units to maintain, expand and optimize NZME’s data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimize data flow and collection for cross functional teams.
The goal is to provide support to the wider data team to help to deliver data to other teams in an accurate, timely and efficient way. The role will support our data pipeline set up and maintenance, our data warehouse maintenance, and data security, governance and privacy compliance.
- Assisting the data engineering team with setting up new pipelines and the maintenance and troubleshooting of existing pipelines.
- Supporting the existing big data ETL and ELT infrastructure which includes Apache Nifi, Apache Airflow (Cloud Composer), Cloud Data Flow (GCP) and other tools.
- Developing and improving ETL/ELT scripts using Python and JOLT (or similar).
- Assisting with management and development of Machine Learning Operations (ML Ops).
- Day to day management of data engineering ticket throughput and progress.
- Assisting our Senior Data Engineer in the management of the data warehouse (BigQuery) ensuring data and access is available to the correct users and appropriate systems are integrated
- Maintain and assemble large, complex data sets within the data warehouse that meet functional & non-functional business requirements
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Define, document and implement data retention and disaster recovery policies
Data Governance, Security and Privacy Compliance:
- Ensure that all activities are conducted in accordance with applicable legislation, rules and standards, including relevant Acts, regulations and industry body requirements.
- Ensure appropriate NZME stakeholders are looped in as required before adoption of any new technologies or processes.
- Ensure that business rules are adhered to in terms of data security and data access controls.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Tertiary qualified – preferable in, big data engineering, computer or data science.
- Minimum 1 years’ experience in a Data Engineer role or similar.
- Commercial ETL experience, ideally with Airflow, Nifi or similar.
- Experience across Big Data tools and technologies – Hadoop, Hive, Impala.
- Knowledge of data warehousing & data modelling concepts.
- Scripting experience in Python, SQL, PowerShell, Bash etc is required.
- Experience in versioning with Git.
- Exposure to AWS, S3, EC2 preferred.
- Comfortable with operating Linux OS.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform and BigQuery is a bonus.
- Experience in using Jira and agile working methodologies required.
- A critical thinker with an analytical and curious mind-set with the ability to explain complex problems and solutions to business users.
- Experience with the Google Cloud Platform preferred.
- Team player with a sense of humour and a positive attitude.
- Take responsibility for your on-going learning and make the most of personal development opportunities at NZME.
- Be adaptable in dealing with change.
So what do we offer in return? This is an amazingly diverse role, working with a modern and sophisticated data analytics stack and a mountain of data. You will be an integral part of a great team, working closely with some of the best brains in the business. Flexible working hours and work from home options. A company culture where you’re encouraged to bring your whole self to work; where we’re diverse & inclusive and foster growth & development in our biggest asset – our staff! So what are you waiting for? It sounds like we’re made for each other!
Applicants for this position must have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.